Twelve Things That I Have Learned Over The Past 20 Months
- Self-care is not selfish. It is very, very important to all aspects of my life. (Took me a while to learn what it really is.)
- Don't judge a book by its gorgeous cover, hundreds of apparently rave reviews, and a beautiful photo portfolio.
- When someone shows me disrespect, believe my physical and emotional responses, and do not make excuses for it (over and over).
- Simplifying, reducing and organizing life is amazing!!!
- Going to bed early and waking up early to start my day peacefully is priceless.
- Going into 'recluse mode' temporarily isn't necessarily a bad thing. Quieting my mind helps me to be more aware of what I truly want and need in my life.
- A man that is kissing me, AND flirting with and asking out other women when I'm not around is not good enough for me by any stretch of the imagination (and my imagination was working overtime to try to make that one work... geez...)
- If I carefully communicate pain or hurt feelings to someone and no where in their response do they even hint at being sorry about my pain (even if they have an explanation), they do not have my best interest at heart.
- If at first someone is always telling me how wonderful I am, and how they want to experience things with me or teach me things, and then suddenly change and start saying I should be more like this person, or like that person and no longer are kind or inclusive, they do not have my best interest at heart and need to go.
- Allowing my heart to heal rather than continuing to apply bandages to it is being kind to myself and in turn being kind to all of those around me that truly do care about me.
- If I am always cheering someone on, offering an ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on, and they cannot show happiness for my successes, or even concern about my general well-being, I need to put my energies elsewhere.
- I still believe there is lots of good in most people, and I believe that everything happens for a reason, and the best advice I've had recently is to 'Do the kind thing, as long as I am keeping my boundaries of self-respect.'