Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ok, so...

Some of the beautiful examples.

Tamara with me, early in the morning with no makeup... oh well... :)

Art teachers in the workshop!

My weekend was really great.
I attended the Texas Art Educator's Association conference and the class I helped to teach with my friend Tamara went really well. We got great feedback, and Tamara's lesson plans and examples were fantastic! The vendor booths are also always fun, because you get to meet with the sales people, editors, and business owners and talk about art products and their uses and get all sorts of new ideas. (very inspiring) Oh, and all the swag is pretty awesome too. ;-)
The Austin Comic Con was also going on right next door! I actually had some time to go over and check it out. It was my first Comic Con, and even though I hear it was much smaller than the average ones, I had a great time. I got to meet so many fun actors and they were all very nice. Of course, the main draw for me was to meet Nicholas Brendon (Xander Harris from 'Buffy') but I enjoyed meeting, Clare Kramer (Glory from 'Buffy') and James Leary (Clem from 'Buffy' - I heart Clem) and many others, including my namesake Lee Majors too! I had the chance to meet them and then I rushed back over to the art teacher convention to take a forensic art workshop.
The forensic workshop was taught by a woman named Lois Gibson (check her out, she's amazing!) I LOVED it! I absolutely loved it. I love drawing faces anyway, so it was fun and exciting workshop. I was told by several people that I was one of the ones that came to closest to having my drawing look like the "criminal." Well, it did kind of look like him, but since I had just met Nicholas... well... the drawing kind of came out looking like him too. LOL! Anyway, long story short, my friend told me I should go back to the convention to show him the drawing, and how it had turned out looking more like him.
When the class was over, I tried to go back but the comic con had closed already. So, I figured, it just wasn't meant to be.
This morning I drove back downtown to the Hilton to hear her keynote speech about her work. Again, it was very inspiring, and her stories, and examples were fantastic. After I got an autographed copy of her book, I headed to the elevators to go back downstairs. I had my drawings out again, thinking about the night before. I was kind of chuckling to myself about the resemblance to Nicholas, and as I walked out the front door of the Hilton, guess who was sitting by himself on a bench waiting for a car!? Yep, that's right, Mr. Xander Harris! So I said Hey, and told him the story and showed him the pics and my drawing... haha. He thought it was funny. Anyway... weird how this synchronicity thing works. Good Weekend.... Good Night. :-)

PS...I want more silly dance songs from Arcade Fire - haha
and God bless you, Win Butler, for keeping this girl's New Wave heart happy!

No comments: